At least 24 people have been killed and several others injured after armed men attacked Binper community in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Residents said the attack took place between Monday night and the early hours of Tuesday. An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said the assailants, who were heavily armed, went from house to house, forcing their way inside and attacking residents while they slept.
Musa said more than 24 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the incident as devastating and called on the new Commissioner of Police in the state to urgently track down those responsible. He also appealed to the state and federal governments to strengthen security around vulnerable communities in Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
According to Dalyop, injured victims were taken to nearby hospitals, while community leaders and residents were working to locate those still missing. Security personnel were also reportedly deployed to the area to restore calm and prevent further attacks.
Attempts to obtain comments from security agencies were unsuccessful at press time.
The Mwaghavul Youth Movement also confirmed the attack, putting the death toll at 24. The group said several people were injured, while houses were allegedly burnt and crops destroyed.
In a statement signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Sunday, the movement expressed deep grief, anger and dissatisfaction over the attack. It said the violence had not only claimed lives but also destroyed families and threatened the livelihoods of residents who depend largely on agriculture.
Meanwhile, women from Bin-Per community in Ruff, Kombun District of Mangu council, staged a peaceful protest on Tuesday over the killings.
The women, carrying leaves, marched through the community while calling for immediate government intervention to protect residents.
One of the protesters, Mrs. Ladi Joshua, said the women were devastated by the loss of their husbands, children, relatives and other members of the community.
The 24 victims have since been buried in a mass burial, while other injured residents remain in hospitals receiving treatment.
Speaking during the burial, President of the Mwaghavul Youth Movement, Kyesmang Jonathan, confirmed that 24 people had been buried and said some of the injured were still receiving medical care.
He condemned the killings and described the incident as a painful loss to the community.
The Plateau State Secretary of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, Jude Dakur, also condemned the attack, describing it as barbaric, senseless and unacceptable.
Dakur expressed sorrow over the loss of lives and destruction of homes, farmlands and other property. He said attacking people in their homes while they slept was a serious violation of the sanctity of human life and must not become a recurring occurrence in Plateau State.
Mutfwang Orders Increased Security in Mangu
Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, has directed security agencies to step up surveillance and patrols in Bin Mper and other vulnerable communities across Mangu Local Government Area.
The directive followed the attack, which left several residents dead and others injured, with homes and farmlands reportedly destroyed.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, Governor Mutfwang condemned the incident and described it as a disturbing development capable of undermining the peace and security being sustained across the state.
Meanwhile, United States Congressman Riley Moore has called on the US Department of State to retain Nigeria’s designation as a Country of Particular Concern, CPC, following the killings in Plateau State.
Reacting to reports of the Binper attack in a post on X on Tuesday, Moore said Christians were being killed with impunity across Nigeria’s Middle Belt.
He argued that the situation had not changed in the region and urged Washington not to repeat what he described as a mistake made during the Biden administration.
Nigeria was first designated a Country of Particular Concern by the US State Department in December 2020 under the first Trump administration over concerns about religious freedom violations. The Biden administration removed Nigeria from the list in November 2021.
