TradeFM
News

Xenophobia: FG to evacuate 83 Nigerians from South Africa

The Federal Government has announced plans to evacuate 83 Nigerians from South Africa, with the returnees expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement on Monday, said the Nigerians would return aboard South African Airways, departing the Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at 3:35pm local time and arriving in Lagos at approximately 8:45pm the same day.

The ministry said the latest evacuation was made possible through the sponsorship of flight tickets by public-spirited private individuals, whose intervention it appreciated.

The development follows the Federal Government’s voluntary repatriation programme, which has facilitated the return of nearly 1,490 Nigerians from South Africa amid concerns over Afrophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Federal Government remains committed to protecting the welfare and dignity of Nigerians both within the country and abroad under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

It added that Nigerians in the diaspora remain important to national development under the government’s Citizen Diplomacy agenda, stressing that their safety and well-being remain a priority.

The ministry also praised the individuals and philanthropists who supported the latest evacuation, describing their intervention as an example of a “whole of society approach” and public-private partnership in addressing consular emergencies.

It urged corporate organisations, the organised private sector, state governments and other well-meaning Nigerians to support similar initiatives when citizens require assistance abroad.

The Federal Government further said it would continue engaging host countries, including South Africa, to address the root causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.

It stressed that attacks and discriminatory treatment of Nigerians must be condemned, while perpetrators should be held accountable.

South African anti-immigration group announces September 30 deadline

Meanwhile, South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has announced September 30, 2026, as a fresh deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.

The group made the announcement during a protest in Durban on Monday, held outside the 46th Southern African Development Community, SADC, Summit.

March and March marched through parts of central Durban, calling on African leaders attending the summit to encourage their citizens living in South Africa without legal documentation to return home.

The group had earlier organised nationwide protests on June 30, demanding stronger government action against undocumented immigration.

It warned that its campaign would continue until its immigration demands were addressed, while calling for the deportation of undocumented foreigners by September 30.

The 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government is taking place in Durban and has brought together leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states.

The latest protest comes amid renewed concerns over South Africa’s treatment of foreign nationals.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemned discrimination and violence against citizens of other African countries.

Ramaphosa said South Africa could not promote regional integration at a diplomatic level while allowing exclusion and hostility towards foreigners within the country.

The June 30 demonstrations were accompanied by security operations, with police also reporting incidents involving attacks and looting in some areas.

March and March has continued to pressure the South African government to adopt tougher measures against undocumented immigration, while tensions over the treatment of foreign nationals have prompted several African countries to evacuate their citizens.

The group’s latest protest has placed the immigration dispute in direct focus at a regional summit attended by leaders whose citizens are among those affected.

Related posts

2027 race: Wike, Turaki camps roll out parallel PDP candidates

Alake Uri

Northern Christian leaders, Atiku and Shehu Sani back Catholic Bishops over Onaiyekan’s remarks

Alake Uri

Borno abduction: Parents list 36 missing children as youths protest

Alake Uri

Leave a Comment

TRADE FM LIVE
Loading…