TradeFM
NewsPolitics

Osun Poll: Adeleke Receives Certificate, Announces N500m Victims’ Fund

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and announced plans to establish a N500m endowment fund for victims of election-related violence.

The certificate was presented to Adeleke on Wednesday by INEC National Commissioner representing the South-West, Prof Kunle Ajayi, at a ceremony attended by members of the governor’s cabinet and political associates.

Adeleke was declared winner of the governorship election on Sunday by INEC State Returning Officer, Prof Joshua Ogunwole.

He secured 511,067 votes to defeat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes.

Speaking after receiving the certificate, Adeleke said the victory belonged to the people of Osun State and expressed appreciation to workers, youths, traders, traditional and religious leaders and other residents who participated in the election.

The governor also expressed concern over the deaths, injuries and destruction of property recorded before the election.

He announced that his family, through the Springtime Development Foundation, would provide full scholarships up to university level for children and dependants of people who lost their lives during the electoral violence.

Adeleke said the N500m election violence victims’ endowment fund would assist verified victims and affected families, regardless of their political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, gender or social status.

He said a verification and relief committee, chaired by the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Adewale Olumide Egbedun, would identify eligible victims and oversee the distribution of assistance.

Meanwhile, gunshots were heard around the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo on Wednesday, shortly after Adeleke visited the monarch.

The incident occurred between about 3:50 pm and 4:10 pm, following an alleged attack on the governor’s convoy.

The governor had arrived at the palace at about 3:15 pm with a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after collecting his certificate at the Osun State INEC headquarters.

An eyewitness said Adeleke had already left the palace when heavy gunfire broke out and continued for about 12 to 15 minutes.

The state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that hoodlums attacked the governor’s convoy but said security personnel repelled them.

Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido and the governor’s nephew, later clarified on X that the incident was a fight outside the palace and was unrelated to him or the governor.

However, the Osun State Police Command confirmed that one person, 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf of the Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, was killed during the incident.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, preliminary investigations indicated that an ex-convict and suspected thug identified as Adebayo Taoreed, also known as “Small Rugged,” allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was stopped by members of his security team.

The confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members, who blocked the palace entrance and disrupted movement before the governor’s convoy eventually left safely.

Police said the suspected gang members later left the area and allegedly shot Yusuf at Itaolokan, Osogbo.

The victim was taken to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where doctors pronounced him dead.

The police command has launched a full-scale investigation and intensified efforts to arrest those responsible.

The Commissioner of Police for the Osun election, Samuel Etaifo, condemned the killing and assured residents that security agencies would deploy all available resources to bring the perpetrators to justice.

The police also urged anyone with useful information to report to the nearest police station and advised residents to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands.

Related posts

INTERPOL, Nigerian police recover vehicles trafficked to Burkina Faso, suspect arrested

Alake Uri

Edo records over 70 child defilement cases, says fathers account for more than half

Alake Uri

Bullets Before Ballots: Insecurity threatens 2027 polls – 5,272 killed in 5 months

Alake Uri

Leave a Comment

TRADE FM LIVE
Loading…