At least 28 people, including the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, have been killed in an attack on Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred on Sunday evening amid heightened security concerns in Kebbe, where communities have recently faced attacks and threats from armed groups allegedly linked to the Lakurawa terrorist organisation.
Police spokesman, DSP Ahmed Rufai, confirmed the attack but said the exact number of casualties remained difficult to establish. He, however, disclosed that at least 28 bodies had been recovered after the incident.
Residents said the attackers stormed the community in the evening and opened fire, killing at least 22 people, mostly civilians.
The death of Imam Aliyu, a respected religious figure, has particularly affected residents. According to community members, the victims included farmers, traders, religious leaders and other residents.
A resident said the victims were ordinary members of the community who had no involvement in criminal activities, while another source said the attack had triggered fresh fear and displacement.
The source said some families had begun leaving their homes because of concerns over possible further attacks, calling for urgent security intervention.
The latest incident followed reports on Friday that a large number of armed men riding motorcycles had entered parts of Kebbe Local Government Area, allegedly attacking residents, looting businesses and destroying property.
The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that an incident had occurred but said it was still gathering information before releasing a comprehensive account.
Army GOC Visits Kebbe
Following the renewed security concerns, the General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Bemgba Koughna, visited the Forward Operating Base, Kebbe, on Sunday to assess the situation and reassure residents of the military’s readiness to respond to threats.
Koughna also held meetings with community leaders and residents, listened to their concerns and reviewed security developments in the area.
The GOC said the Army had adjusted its security arrangements to prevent further terrorist infiltration and protect vulnerable communities.
He assured residents that troops remained deployed, alert and focused on protecting lives and property.
Koughna said measures had been introduced to ensure emerging threats were identified and contained before they could escalate.
He also assured the people of Kebbe that terrorist groups would not be allowed to establish safe havens in the area or surrounding communities.
The Army chief urged residents to remain calm and strengthen cooperation with security agencies, particularly by providing credible and timely intelligence.
He appealed to community leaders and residents to report suspicious movements, unfamiliar individuals and other activities that could pose security risks.
Koughna reaffirmed the commitment of troops to protecting residents, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within the Army’s operational area.
Residents, however, called for sustained military deployments and intelligence-led operations to prevent further attacks.
A community leader said the insecurity was disrupting economic and social activities, with residents struggling to farm, children afraid to attend school and families abandoning their homes.
The GOC’s visit was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma, Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba.
Atiku Demands Government Action
Former Vice-President and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Atiku Abubakar, has called on the Federal Government to take decisive action against the persistent killings instead of relying on condolence messages.
In a statement posted on his verified X account on Monday, Atiku described the victims as innocent Nigerians and expressed concern over the worsening security situation.
Atiku referred to the death toll as 32 in his statement, saying he was devastated by the killings in Ungushi community, Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State.
He sympathised with the affected families and the people of Sokoto State, praying for the repose of the deceased and strength for their relatives.
The former Vice-President said condolences were no longer sufficient given the frequency of attacks across the country.
He questioned how many more Nigerians would have to die before the government treated the protection of lives as an emergency.
Atiku urged the Federal Government to strengthen intelligence gathering, secure vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for the killings are arrested and prosecuted.
He said the government’s primary responsibility is to protect the lives and property of citizens, warning that Nigerians should not continue losing loved ones while those responsible for their security offer excuses.
Atiku called for urgent action to restore peace in Sokoto State and across the country.
